History

The Treaty of Ghent was signed in the city at the old Carthusian monastery of Meerhem on 24th December 1814. The Treaty put a formal end to the state of war that had existed between Great Britain and the United States of America since 1812. The Treaty of Ghent was subsequently ratified by US President Madison and King George III on 17th February 1815.